.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Monday Momentum

My customers frequently tell me that they really don't have time to do the creative work that they have planned out. They have the vision for what they want to do and can imagine the outcome, but not enough hours in the day, nor days in the week to do it.

Impossible situation, I know. But some of them have been helped by a couple of things I've done, some proactive planning, and a good ink pen with their calendar. What I've implemented is a "mini-retreat." Every month, usually on the last weekend of the month, I have 3 different activities. On Friday night I do a card-swap (free for any who wants to participate) and a project workshop. The workshops are often based on the CTMH workshops on the go (if they don't follow the WOTG completely!) and the cost is as minimal as possible. My customers love doing things besides scrapbooking and get the chance to have a girls' night out with new faces each month.

On Saturday, I have my "Scrappin' Happy" workshop where I use 1/2 of a paper package and make 8-10 layouts (4 or 5 doubles) using Cherish or Imagine designs, or some of my own. There is no charge for this workshop as long as they all bring their own paper pack (I do insist on CTMH supplies since I'm doing it for free.) and 8 to 10 cardstocks for their bases. Once I've made my own layouts, it is easy to direct the cutting and placement for my customers' layouts. My customers LOVE this because they get to use the paper packs they've already purchased, and they leave with layouts ready for pictures and journaling! And it's fast! In fact, at my last "SH" we finished 2 full sets of 10 layouts in just under 3 hours!

Finally, at 6PM I have a club crop night for all of my club members. Any that come to the "SH" workshop can just stay over and get a jumpstart. This crop is a benefit of membership in my hostess clubs. They not only meet each month, but they also get the free use of my stamps and inks on club crop nights. (VERY VALUABLE as I have MANY!) We usually order out for dinner and I or my dh make a run for it and we crop until 10 or 11PM. We all get a kick out of this time, sharing our ideas or latest "find" (I'm a CTMH snob, but I don't insist that anyone else be one!) or a technique that we've just learned.

The best part about this set up is that it is the same time every month. Once in a while, I'll have another commitment and have to adjust, but usually, my customers can count on spending the last weekend of the month with me. So while I can't actually add minutes to the clock, at least I can help them set some aside!

Blessings!
:-)

2 comments:

  1. Great new blog!

    I'm so looking forward to Technique Tuesdays! I would love someone to show me how to use distressing ink - re-inkers or Ranger Ink maybe to make my own papers. I'd like to start on my wedding photos - want to do them in a dark/hot pink and black and cream. If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

    Another great thing I've seen on other blogs is guest blogging. If you know people who are great at certain things, techniques, embellishing, etc... you can ask them to guest post for you.

    Thanks for all your inspiration. You make me a "happy scrapper".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so flattered that you like it, hs. I've been wanting to do this for awhile and just decided to commit to it!

    I love working with distressing! I have a good friend who has become a self-proclaimed "distressing QUEEN" and she has spurred me on to learn new ways to create my own paper. I do have some ideas on using reinkers and distressing inks, so check it out on Tuesdays and I'll work it up!

    I would love to have some guest bloggers here. Just not sure how to set it up. Is there anything special that needs to be done?

    Thanks again for the suggestion!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete