.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Twitterpated Workshop - Layout #3

This is the third and final layout from my workshop - well, except for the one included in the instruction booklet. By the way, didn't you LOVE what they did with the ribbon in that layout??? But I digress. For this one, as for the others, don't adhere your pieces until you've completed your distressing. At first, just lay them on the bases. Use Sorbet card stock for these bases and your pieces should all be labeled #3L for the left page or #3R for the right page.

For the left page, lay the 9 x 3 green print at the bottom left edge of the paper. Add the 3 x 3 square of the tree trunk paper above that 9 x 3 piece. Lay the 1-inch striped strip next to these two pieces. My stripes go up and down, but yours, if you cut them according to my instructions, should go short ways across the paper. (I regreted the way mine looked, and used less paper this way!) Next to the striped strip, add the 4 1/2 x 4 inch tree trunk piece to the bottom edge of the page. Put the 6 x 8 green print directly above that, making an open space that measures 4 x 4 along the bottom right corner.

On the right hand page, lay the 10 1/2 x 8 inch tree trunk sheet flush against the bottom edge and 1/2 inch from the left edge. The striped strip lays across that about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom edge. **Note! Even when you're ready to adhere all the pieces down, only adhere the outside edges of this strip so you can slip your picture underneath it later!** The 7 x 3 inch green piece lays evenly between the tree trunk paper and the right edge and equi-distance from the top edge. The final green print piece (measuring 3 x 2 1/2) goes flush against the top edge of the base and about 1/2 inch from the left edge of the tree trunk paper.

This double carries a LOT of embellishments and techniques. First, I used a sponge dauber on all of the paper pieces of this layout with Sorbet ink. It gives a soft edge to the paper as you can see on the tree trunk and green print paper to the left. Also to the left, you can see the branch "button" (actually a chipboard accent from the Dimensional Elements Organic collection) that I added at the end of a ribbon border I used across the left page, from the right edge (Actually, I wrapped it around the edge and secured it at the back.) to the tree trunk paper. I used about 10 inches in all. I also added some Colonial White brads from the Basic Brad collection to this "button" to give a different look.


I did the same with the other branch "button" on the right hand side of the page, but in this photo, my distressing of the base page shows up really well! While I used a sponge dauber on the paper pieces, I used the direct method on my base pages. I scrap the corner edge of the stamp pad directly across the edge of the paper, leaving it with little points and lines. Usually the corners get a thicker layer of it. I used this method on the two sides of each paper, but at the tops and bottoms, I ran the stamp pad along the edge long ways so that the texture wouldn't cross and the lines would all go the same direction. It took a while for me to perfect this technique (well, perfect is a very LOOSE translation for what I do) but I kept playing with it on scrap cardstock (it doesn't work as well on paper) until I got the effect I was looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment