.

Monday, August 4, 2008

Monday Momentum

I'm so pumped this week because of my retreat at the end of the week. If you are a consultant and haven't done any retreats, oh PLEASE change that fact and consider doing one as soon as possible.

Going back to last week - as women, we aren't near as much into selling as we are into relationships! This is something I learned about a month ago and have been keeping it at the forefront of my mind! Retreats are a PERFECT place to create and build relationships, and they don't have to be epensive.

First thing to work on is a PLACE. There are all sorts of "Mom&Pop" cabins and retreats that would LOVE to cater to scrap-bookers. Most of these will offer all meals instead of just breakfasts, but there are some which have full kitchens that can save you a lot if you prepare your own food. One of my favorites is the Jadco Retreat about 7 miles north of Whitesboro, TX near Lake Texoma. You can rent it at a flat rate for the weekend (bring your own food) and offers 4 double beds and 1 queen - sleeping 6. We actually figured out that we could use the couch, and a couple of air mattresses and house 12 there instead. Jadco also offers scrap-booking weekends with full meals (delicious!) for a VERY reasonable price.

This weekend, we're going to the Hilton Garden Inn which caters to business travelers. It is a "morgue" on the weekends and they were delighted to bring in our group and gave us a GREAT deal! It includes free hot breakfasts, and plenty of scrapbooking room.

Another thing to think about (depending on your costs) is gifts and giveaways. These little details can really make your guests feel special. I try to do some sort of gift or giveaway after each meal. I also plan (this retreat is the first time I've done it) to do a couple of short classes - having all the supplies ready ahead so I can teach a new technique without taking away from the precious scrapbooking time.

I bring along a few other items: my computer and printer for journaling, my Wishblade for diecutting (and a Cricut from a friend), DVD's of dialogue-driven movies (no silent action because that requires looking up!), and downloaded music and CDs to play on my computer or a CD player. (I get distracted by music, but many gals love it, so I make sure I sit far away from it.)

I found that some gals like diversions. At my last retreat, some of them went into to town to shop for a while (one of them even wore her pajamas! LOL) and this time, we have a pool and hot tub and I'm hoping to arrange for a massage therapist to come in for Saturday afternoon. I also plan to have a couple of little games available for my guests in case they need a break.

So think seriously about retreating - ahhhhhhhhh. (I'll have pics next week and will tell you how it goes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment