.

Monday, June 28, 2010

4th of July Door Hanger

This is a really simple craft that I cooked up for the residents of a local retirement home nearby. Doing workshops at a retirement home is a challenge because I want to offer a really nice-looking project, but I have to be mindful of the ailments of older hands and eyes.

For this, I just cut a 12 x 6 of white cardstock and then cut about 3 1/2 inches off using the coluzzle to round the top edge. Inside, roughly 1/2 inch from the tope edge, I cut another circle measuring 2 3/4 in diameter. (On the large circle coluzzle template, it is the smallest outline.) I also added 6 small hole punches about 3 inches from the bottom of the card, 1/2 inch from either side and 1 inch between each hole punch.

Using the Celebration stamp called Your a Star, the ladies who joined me stamped the largest 2 stars in Heavenly blue, and the medium 3 stars in Crystal blue. They then stamped the smallest stars in Moonstruck and added Glitz to many of the small ones to sparkle the page.

After all the stamping was done, they added the ribbon to the bottom section of the cards. They inserted 4-inch cranberry ribbons to each of the holes and taped them against the back of the card. They also added the little bow to the top of the card using about 7 inches of ribbon.

With that done, the residents added pre-glued letters that I had made with my Cricut. (My daughter spread on the Mono-Adhesive because some of the pieces were really small.) The residents found it easy to place all the pieces and then used our Glitz again to added sparkly polka dots (and some of them added lines and dashes) to the letters.

It was a fun project and took very little time to prepare and make. In fact, two of the crafters made a second project in no time!

This project was a perfect one to enter into this week's Heart 2 Heart Challenges. If you want to take the challenge, check out the blog at heart2heartchallenges.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

  1. How sweet! It's a darling project, and I'm sure the residents loved it. I used to work at a nursing home and know how much it means to have someone help them make something pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sweet of you...I know that they do enjoy crafts and staying busy! Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete